1. H1 HTML Tags – Search Engines often put a lot of Weight on the keywords located in the H1 tag. If your site does not have a H1 tag, it would be worth adding.
2. Keyword Weights – It’s a common mistake with SEO to make a site sound ‘spammy’, or unreadable because of adding too many keywords. A good rule according to current standards is not to have the keywords greater than 6 percent, and no less than 1 percent and remember, no optimization should ever override user experience.
3. Domain Name- The domain name choice with the keywords you use makes a difference with the search engines. If a site is about puppy care, it helps to have the keywords ‘puppy care’ in the domain name. It also makes a difference with your URL(web address) and that’s why you see things like ‘yourdomainproduct.c0m/puppy-care-with-new-born.ht..’, instead of just ‘/page.html’.
4. Page Title- On your pages, using keywords in the title does make a difference, but again, you don’t want the page title to sound WEIRD.
5. Image Alt Tags- Keywords for the page your creating should always be placed in alternative text to make it more readable to the search engines.
The above is some of what are the top picks when building a website, but is not to say that those are the only rules for good SEO or search engine optimization, nor do they all have to be strictly enforced. If your site name for example is without keywords, it’s still ok, but these are tips for maximum optimization.
Google also looks at several other factors as well.
Some of the biggest mistakes when advertising on the internet are:
Internet advertising is now part of the business world. What I mean is it works just like offline businesses in the way that it’s location, location, location, and right now the internet is where people are gathering(over 1/3 of their waking time), but many businesses see advertising on the NET and assign it with little value because it’s not tangible, and they refuse to validate it’s business potential to increase revenue.
When companies start an advertising campaign, they assume it works like offline advertising, and manage it in ways that washes them away in a pool of all but non-existent listings that prove unsuccessful. Below are a few misconceptions about internet advertising.
1- Build it and they will come-Fail. For internet marketing like the movie Field of Dreams, there is a beautiful story about hope with a playing field where suddenly a baseball team appeared. If you depend on this happening with a business strategy, you need to rethink a bit.
2- Online Advertising can not produce revenue for local business-Fail . This concept actually will make a business profile look less than operational these days. One of the local Omaha businesses I affiliate advertise for receives hundreds of calls each month with thousands of dollars in revenue. If I had a percentage of what they made, I probably would not be blogging right now(on an island somewhere).
3- I can find one online formula and my company will be number one-Fail. Several SEO(search engine optimization) and web design components are in an online business campaign. The tricks to get website traffic(appealing as they are) is usually junk traffic, and will not produce results. You can either learn web design skills or hire someone, but using online marketing techniques is not to be taken for granted.
4- Business can buy a single page from a site and be ranked-Partial Fail. A single page can produce some results and it depends on how the web page is promoted, but many sites that offer single pages use poor SEO strategies that will not rank high on Google, MSN, and Yahoo so it is strongly suggested that you also have a website for your online business needs.
5- Businesses only need their name and number on the internet and people will find them-Major Fail. I see this in the Omaha and other cities a lot, and look at those niches as an opportunity to promote a business and make those companies look like rock stars. Unless your company is the only one in town in your market(still may not be the best way), having just a name and number will be a miserable failure to your business strategy and potential revenue.
If you are trying to spread the word in Omaha, Nebraska, smaller or larger cities, your advertising presence needs something that stands out from the rest of the other companies, and those companies that make those act silly when making poor decisions about their online marketing techniques WILL lose company revenue and customers to their competitors.